NJ corrections officer pleads guilty in bribery case
Christopher Santana admitted taking payments to smuggle tobacco and other contraband into a Newark prison.
A former senior state corrections officer admitted Tuesday to taking thousands of dollars from prisoners’ friends and associates in return for smuggling tobacco and other contraband into Northern State Prison in Newark.
Christopher Santana, 33, of Hackensack, pleaded guilty to a single count of second-degree conspiracy to commit bribery during an Aug. 18 hearing before Essex County Superior Court Judge Michael Ravin, according to a statement from Attorney General Jennifer Davenport.
As part of his plea agreement, prosecutors will recommend that the court sentence Santana to three years in state prison.
He will also pay back $4,500 in bribes and forfeit his right to ever hold public office or public employment in New Jersey, according to the statement.
Santana, who was fired from his position in July 2025, will be sentenced Oct. 5.
“It is a serious breach of public trust when anyone responsible for upholding the law and maintaining order betrays his duties for personal gain,” Davenport said. “Corrupt actions like these make correctional facilities less safe and secure for inmates and officials alike, and undermine public trust in government.”
A grand jury indicted Santana in May for the scheme, which prosecutors said began in May 2024 and ran until his June 2025 arrest.
Law enforcement officials caught on to his operation on June 10, 2025, when officers spotted an unusual bulge under Santana’s clothing as he reported to work, according to court documents.
Officers searched him and found two vacuum-sealed bags of tobacco and three bottles of an unknown liquid under his protective vest and pants, Davenport said.
Investigators later said Santana had been taking cash and digital payments from incarcerated people’s friends and associates in return for ferrying contraband into the prison.
“Accepting bribes and smuggling contraband undermines the work of the thousands of correctional professionals who serve with integrity every day and directly jeopardizes the safety of staff and incarcerated persons,” Department of Corrections Commissioner Victoria L. Kuhn said in a statement. “The department will continue to aggressively work with law enforcement to investigate misconduct and hold accountable anyone who compromises the security of our institutions.”
Anthony Pope, Santana’s Newark attorney, did not respond to requests for comment.
Steve Janoski is a multi-award-winning journalist whose work has appeared in the New York Post, USA Today, the Associated Press, The Bergen Record and the Asbury Park Press. His reporting has exposed corruption, government malfeasance and police misconduct


